Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Some background info for you!

Hi there, my name is Cynthia. I'm a seamstress. I started learning how to sew when I was about 9 or 10. My mother and all her sisters are very gifted seamstresses, thought only one of my aunts does it professionally. I didn't really get into making garments until high school when I also discovered my love of musical theater. I was in choir and madrigals all through high school and helped my mom make my costumes for all the plays I was in. After I left college (the music major I was trying for didn't work out) I applied at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and somehow they hired me with no experience. After a year and a half there, my knowledge and passion for creating garments had blossomed. While working there I was able to design, create, and see all my work up on stage in front of hundreds of people. Although I have since moved on, and am living in Vermont now, I still have that passion. I did the bridal/prom alterations for a while, and even worked at a drycleaner's doing tailoring and repairs. Right now I've changed course in my life. I'm raising a wonderful little girl with my husband, and I'm going back to finish my degree. This time I'm going for an English degree. I'd love to get a job teaching Home Economics to middle school or high school, but since so many counties have cut those programs, I'm willing to go with teaching English. 
On this blog I'll be posting tips and trials about sewing for yourself and others. It's a talent that I'm afraid has started to die out. I would get women coming in to have me fix a button. That's $5.00 for you to have someone else sew on a $.50 button. Even though the economy seems to be doing better, I feel the ability to at least repair your own clothes is very important. I'll try to break it down into easy to understand instructions on how to make simple garments and make more complicated repairs.  Feel free to ask me questions, send pictures, or even add your own tips on here.
Thanks for stopping by, and expect your first tip sometime this week!









This picture is one of my high school choir costumes that I made with my mom when I was 15. I actually still fit into it 12 years later!



Please note: 
All photos and writings on this blog are copyrighted by Cynthia Buckpitt, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment